Monday, November 4, 2013

The insanity of the war on terror

Here is an article reacting to the recent LAX murder:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/lax-shooting-not-a-random-event-110113

The extract below struck me as instructive:
 
"There is nothing "random" at all. We have chosen insanity over reason. We have done it with our eyes open. It is time for me to walk out of the airport now. I am leaving behind a terrible event. But I am not leaving behind something accidental. I am leaving behind what America has determined must happen from time to time, if we are to be a free people. I am leaving behind what America has determined is part of the cost of being an American. I am leaving behind the blood that I am told I must accept as part of the price of being a member of a free society. I am leaving behind a place of death, and I am joining my fellow citizens, as we make an odd pilgrimage out of a place that is now another altar of the blood sacrifice that I am told we must make, regularly, in order to be truly free. I am a free citizen, I am told, of the Republic of Murder, my rights guaranteed by the Constitution of Moloch."
 
Considering the trillions of dollars wasted on the war on terror over the last decade or so, why would the US not direct that money to solving the problem of gun deaths in the USA?  Certainly thousands more Americans are dead as a result of Americans 'randomly' shooting Americans than from any actual terrorists attacks.  Why are these dead people not given the same respect as the 9/11 victims?  Why has the US government taken away everyone's freedoms - the right to privacy, due process, habeus corpus, freedom from arbitrary arrest, search, seizure and even torture etc., etc.,  - in the futile attempt to reduce terrorist attacks, and yet they will not restrict anyone's right to bear arms inside the USA?

Pierce's article also reveals the depradation of the American love of freedom, when he doesn't even recognize the irony when he claims: "I am leaving behind the blood that I am told I must accept as part of the price of being a member of a free society."
 
You are no longer a member of a free society, Charles, you are living in the USA in 2013.
 

No comments: